Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 132: A literacy lover! The Power of Words!

I have always been a literacy lover!  I grew up with my nose in books.  From learning how to read upon my daddy's lap with Dick and Jane books, to Dr. Seuss, The Berenstein bears, Amelia Bedelia, Judy Blume, Roald Dahl, and so many countless others!  My life has been a soundtrack of various authors and books that met me at the door and carried me through life! 

I am so thrilled that my children are lovers of literacy as well!!! I've never been able to say no to a request for a book.  I've joked that we could open our own library!  ;)  

 Recently, I began to think about all the social media that is so currently prevalent and it occurred to me that we have a new generational literacy--social media!! A few years back, we were discussing the literacy emerging through the internet but it's evolved again.  Just look at all the READERS and WRITERS emerging!!  I love it!  As a literacy lover--I especially love that it involves my passion too--technology!   There will always be nay-sayers with negative things to point out about social media......but I see a very positive aspect of it ALL and that is LITERACY is alive and growing!  

So go on with your bad selves--bloggers, tweeters, facebookers......instagrammers!!!  It's all literacy! and it makes my little bookworm heart happy!! :)



2 comments:

  1. I have recently been reading some classics (that are free on Kindle!): Pride and Prejudice and Little Women. How beautifully written. I love the talk of virtues, and the romances which are actually romantic (vs. self-centered). I'm grateful to have the time and opportunity now to read for pleasure. It's easy to make our lives so busy or entertainment-filled that we don't have time/patience/interest for such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I still have several classics that I need to read as well. Fortunately, the girls are big readers too so we're always reading and sharing about books. Love it! Continue to share any that you enjoy with us!

    ReplyDelete