Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 127: Guardian Angels

Guardian Angels!  It's a term I heard about as a child growing up and I often wondered about it over the years.  It was mystifying and intriguing to me and my first strong memory of the term was when I was about 4 years old.  I remember small patches of things from my early childhood years, but this event was one of those memories that stayed strong my whole life.  It was significant because it was one of those memories where you are going about your childhood day, and then something happens that makes you 'wake up' or really hone in, and pay attention to what's going on around you.  I imagine, I was probably like my own children at that age-- and often had imaginary play going on with frequent bouts of interaction with my surroundings.  You know, those times when the kid is driving his toy car up the parent's leg with great intensity-sound effects "broom, broom" and then suddenly says, "I love you mommy", then goes back to the car noises.  

Well this memory was when we were on a family trip.  We were driving somewhere (probably on  a vacation or to visit family, which we did often).  I remember that we had some type of car trouble.  I can't recall exactly what it was but I knew it was urgent and dangerous.  It was daylight out and the sun was shining but I remember the sense of seriousness with my dad as he pulled off the road and began to deal with the situation.  I remember there was another man who got involved to help us out.  I didn't pay much attention to him or the situation until after it was over and we were driving off.  I can recall my dad getting back into the car, with a great sound of relief and gratefulness in his voice, praising the man who had helped us and then the words......Guardian Angel!  I distinctly remember my dad saying, now THAT man, .......that was a guardian angel right there!  Suddenly I recall looking out the window.  What? I thought!  Where?  I was so curious.....what does a guardian angel look like?  Are they angels?  Why can't I see him?  is he invisible? Oh, the questions!  Then as we began to slowly drive off, I looked back, hoping to get a glimpse!  I recall seeing a white haired man in a blue shirt.  He looked pretty normal.  I didn't see any wings or anything and I'm not even sure what I thought he might look like but I recall thinking that he looked "special" to me now that I had this word, Guardian Angel floating around in my mind. 
We pulled away and went on with our trip, but my dad kept on talking about him for a few more minutes.  He was so appreciative of the help that the man gave us and continued to refer to him as a Guardian Angel as I kept trying to look back and see more of him.  Instantly wishing I'd paid more attention sooner and could have gotten a better look at him.  I really wanted to see him now and have a good look at him.  
We went on our way, with no other issues with the car that I can recall.  But that memory will stand out in my mind forever, as the first time I really heard the term, Guardian Angel. And that man.....whoever he was, became my model image for a Guardian Angel as I grew up.  I pictured what little glimpse of him I got, for years!  

We had many discussions over the years about Guardian Angels and what they are, if people believe in them or not and my image of them sort of evolved.  At one time in my life, I think that I thought they were selected people......maybe sent down from heaven to do a certain act of kindness.....but later, as I matured, I learned that God USES us, everyday people as Guardian Angels in everyday, ordinary events that happen and it's more about good people, being in the right place at the right time and then being in a position to help out and CHOOSING to do something.  So this made me realize that anybody COULD be a Guardian Angel to anybody else at any given time in life.  Then I began to be more aware of them and over time, I found there are many situations in which the term would be fitting.

Today I had an opportunity to be a Guardian Angel to someone.  It was my own mother!  I was coming out of the grocery store with my son and I looked over and saw my mom entering the store.  My mom is 82 and while she gets around independently, she's definitely showing signs of her age!  At first I thought she was just coming to the grocery store but as we talked, she quickly told me that she had already shopped and that she was coming back into the store for help because her car wouldn't start. (it was a cold, cold day in January with record lows, even for winter).  I didn't have any jumper cables with me (which I should, by the way! Safety people!) so I quickly called my husband to see if my father-in-law (who I knew would be closest) could help.  Thankfully, my father-in-law was available to help and within minutes, had my mother's car up and going!

While I've often thought back over situations in my life and different events that occurred, I can definitely recall situations where a Guardian Angel (or two!) came along to help at just the right moment!  I can also recall situations where I think God was protecting me from certain, bad decisions (of even my own doing!) and I believe those are Guardian Angel occurrences as well!  It was nice today, to be in a position to help someone else!

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I've recently memorized the Guardian Angel prayer and say it every morning with Will on his way to school (hello first time mom having trouble letting go of her son, and maybe of control, too, haha).
    "Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God's love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww <3 I love that! I'd not heard that prayer so thank you for sharing! Nothing wrong with cherishing our kids and childhood......it certainly goes by too fast and I'm learning how much God WANTS us to pray and the power of prayer. So good that you are modeling that for your kids!

    ReplyDelete