Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 71: Air conditioning

I have fond memories of my childhood.  Particularly of spending summer nights with windows open--enjoying not only the breeze but also the sounds of summer night critters.  

Recently, I was reminded of this as my son prefers to have the AC running full throttle (perhaps he's part eskimo!) and I remembered how we slept with windows open during summer nights.  It was often cool enough that we didn't need the AC running (granted, this was summer nights in Pennsylvania and Michigan so temps were cooler than southern states).  But part of that summer experience was sleeping with the sounds of summer.  

I also remember fondly, a neighbor friend who was more like a 2nd grandmother.  She grew a garden and taught us about many things.  When her grandchildren would visit we had week-long sleepovers because they were our ages and we'd play together all summer.  She introduced me to the delicious combination of coffee ice cream and cantaloupe fresh out of her garden!  I can still taste it!  Not a combination I would have ever thought to put together but yum, was it good!  We played all day and then had sleepovers upstairs in their attic bedroom (which I thought was so cool because of the slanted ceilings).  The windows were low and you could sleep right beside them with the breeze coming in on top of you.  We barely needed sheets as covers because it was so cool and after catching fireflies in jars--we had the perfect night light for hours.  Great memories--

1 comment:

  1. Please take a look and read this nice and interesting blog, it's really fun and cool.-air conditioning LA-

    ReplyDelete