Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 89: Slow Your Roll ;)

Any parent can tell you that life is busy!  That's not really hard to grasp, but I also think any parent can also tell you that "feeling" busy is totally different.  
About the time that I had my 2nd child, I began to feel that "rush" start to creep in.  I didn't like it.  I knew it wasn't good and I didn't want to have my precious babies' childhood go by in a flash while I was "busy" cleaning, cooking, working etc.  So I had that "epiphany"....which for me, often comes in the way of a daily inspiration, prayer, message etc. and I've said so often before that God often speaks to me exactly when I need to hear it most!  
So this post is about slowing down.  And I had an an email message that came to me from a friend many, many years ago that helped articulate quite nicely--just what how I was feeling and what I needed to be reminded of.....in the nick of time :)  Just as my babes were toddling, crawling and the third one in the oven ;)

Then today I saw a post on social media that was a good reminder.  I'm going to post both of the messages here too.......because maybe, just maybe, somebody reading this needs this eye opener or needs this reminder......or maybe they too can appreciate the message.  

And while my babes are really no longer babes.....the same is still true.  We have to SAVOR life and times together!!  So just last week I was in the barbie aisle with my youngest.....and I thought to myself (ok, every time we do this, I always find myself telling her it's time to go after a few minutes and I am going to make a conscious effort this time to make sure I let her browse until her little heart's content <3  I don't care if we're standing in this aisle when the store closes.....I'm just going to let her peruse and she can tell me when she's ready to go!)
So I did!  And boy did it feel good.  I wondered later if she even noticed.  Then today she and I were reading the article in the link that I'm attaching to this post and I said to her..."do you remember the other day in the barbie aisle?  ..." and so then we talked about how I had made an effort to SLOW MY ROLL :)  
I guess it's good that she didn't notice it that day because maybe that means I'm doing better about it than I think I am.  :)  
It's one of those MOMMY things I'm always working on improving! 

So here's an excellent article: 
http://www.handsfreemama.com/2013/07/16/the-day-i-stopped-saying-hurry-up/

and here's the other message that I received those many, many years ago.....on the brink of parenting that I have kept clipped to my refrigerator as a daily reminder to......SLOW MY ROLL!!!

Just for Today
by Sally Meyer

To my child:

Just for this morning, I am going to smile when I see your face and laugh when I feel like crying.

Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear and smile and say how perfect it is. J

Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the park to play.

Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.

Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.

Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won’t worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.

Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies and I won’t stand over you trying to fix them.

Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald’s and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.

Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.

Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.

Just for this evening, when I run my fingers through your hair as you pray …….
I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given.  I will think about all the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children’s graves instead of their bedrooms, and the mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can’t handle it anymore.


And when I kiss you goodnight, I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer.  It is then that I will thank God for you, and ask him for nothing, except one more day……..


No comments:

Post a Comment