Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 62: Loyal friendships

We love our pets!  All my life we've grown up with a family dog (or two or three), a family cat, sometimes cows and horses and my father always taught me to stop and smell the roses where our animals were concerned.  You can learn so much from animal's behavior.  They truly are unique creatures with definite relationships among each other and their owners. 

I'm reminded of my father rolling in the floor with his favorite dog, Missi.  He was about 60 and it was as if she was one of his children as they literally wrestled and rolled around affectionately on the floor.  So many stories. 

Another time my dad was on a horse trail ride with several others and his horse got stuck.  They began sinking in the water and my father had to get off and try to keep the horse from drowning.  One of the other horses and dogs that were on this ride stayed right there with them until they could be rescued.

Another time one of our dogs was hit by a car and our other dog literally stayed 'post' at the sight of the accident for several hours after.  It was as if he was honoring/mourning the loss of his best bud.

When one of our horses passed away several years back, the other horse literally went nuts running the field and jumping fence posts. It appeared to be a fit and he couldn't take being without his longtime field companion.

Then there's our sweet shepard mix, Zach.  He had a thing for storms and he didn't like for me to be out mowing when a storm came.  One time he came off the porch and literally circled me on the mower.  At first I didn't know what he was up to......but after he circled me the 3rd time I decided to turn and follow him.  Sure enough, he lead me back from the field up to the house and to the porch and no sooner than I hit the driveway with the mower, did a huge storm cloud appear out of nowhere and heavy rain begin to pour down.  I laughed until I cried.  How did this dog know there was a storm coming and how on earth did he manage to communicate to me that he wanted me out of harms way? 

This video clip epitomizes the love and loyalty that animals can share.  It is from CBS and it really does speak to the power of relationships, love and loyalty. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment