Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 141: Boss

There's been a lot of buzz recently around the word BOSS.  It's been used to acknowledge success, power, achievement, etc.  When I saw this quote (supposedly from Beyonce, but who knows,) I thought it was too cute not to share (especially, with my girls!)

It's definitely an issue to consider--girls, particularly outward, innovative, creative and determined, can get labeled and held back by society's ideals.  She can be labeled "bossy" when she is confident, aggressive or a leader.  It is not always a "bad" quality and certainly has it's place and appropriate form of display, but this quote just sort of hit me and made me think of times when I'd thought of my girls as bossy (or had someone think of me as being bossy) and it really was an eye opener.  Sometimes we let those labels keep us from pursuing things or ideas that others may not be on board with and girls--let's face it>  we all struggle with the please- everyone- at -all -costs- syndrome!  Call it what you will, it  boils down to girls wanting to please to the point of it being a disease!!!  

And that's what resonates with me about this quote (whether or not it was from Beyonce--doesn't matter!)  What does matter is that it liberates rather than oppresses!  

March is Women's History Month!  So why not celebrate some amazing women in history who showed us that they weren't bossy--they were THE BOSS!!!  



1 comment:

  1. I personally can't understand where this quotation is coming from (i.e. what she means by it). I understand that leadership qualities and confidence (as you say) certainly shouldn't be attributed to just the male gender. But being of a sanguine/choleric temperament myself, and therefore struggling with being overly aggressive/combative/opinionated at times, I think this message is misguided. I've heard it said that we must temper justice with mercy, and this helps me keep my choleric tendencies in check. Also, being "bossy" really has no place in the context of marriage or parenting (or friendship), where mutual love and respect are necessary for a healthy relationship. I love the quote "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care".

    ReplyDelete